EDGE Certification is a global, independent and third-party certification system. EDGE Certification has chosen to use certification as an impactful tool to close the gender gap as certifications have three core characteristics:
- Based on objective and measurable evidence of a current status within an organization. It provides the opportunity to clearly measure progress ‘what gets measured gets done’
- Establish a global standard of excellence. Organizations need to establish ‘what does success look like’
- Sustainable instrument to create change, which is uniquely based on transparency, accountability and recurring processes
The EDGE Certification methodology guarantees the integrity of the evaluation and certifications are only awarded after independent auditors have been able to establish the accuracy of the information. The assessment is done on a country-by-country basis to take into account the local culture and legal framework.
What EDGE Certification measures?
Organizations that excel on gender equality show the following characteristics:
- Strong gender balance at all levels of the organization. Taking into account each organization’s own local intake of women at the junior management level in each country of operation and comparing it with the organization’s own percentage of women at the top management level in each country.
- A statistically insignificant unexplained gender pay gap. Showing that there is equal pay for equivalent work irrespective of gender.
- A solid framework of effective policies and practices to ensure equitable career flows for both women and men. Measuring the effectiveness of the local policies and practices formulated and implemented in each country of operation.
- An inclusive culture as reflected in employees’ high ratings in terms of career development opportunities. Considering the characteristics of the local participation in each of the country of operation and the local employees experience.
What benefits does EDGE Certification provide?
- A robust workforce analytics approach to inform organizations gender diversity strategy and priorities.
- An effective benchmarking tool across all industries, geographies and against the EDGE Certification Global Standard.
- A global branding tool, allowing organizations to give visibility and credibility to their commitment for workplace gender equality
EDGE Certification is committed to being the world’s leading global certification system for workplace gender equality, uniquely applicable across all industries and geographical regions.
The methodology uses a business, rather than theoretical approach that incorporates benchmarking, metrics and accountability into the process. It assesses policies, practices and numbers across five different areas of analysis:
- Equal pay for equivalent work
- Recruitment and promotion
- Leadership development, training and mentoring
- Flexible working conditions
- Organizational culture
EDGE levels of Certification
Because impact deserves to be recognized. EDGE Certification embraces a philosophy of continuous improvement. It is a three tiered certification, which is valid for two years.
Level 1: Assess
The company makes a public commitment to a strong gender balance across the talent pipeline, to pay equity, to a solid framework of gender equality policies and practices as well as to an inclusive workplace culture as reflected by high engagement levels of both male and female employees.
Level 2: Move
The company has already implemented a framework for change and achieved significant milestones when it comes to a strong gender balance across the talent pipeline, to pay equity, to a solid framework of gender equality policies and practices as well as to an inclusive workplace culture as reflected by high engagement levels of both male and female employees.
Level 3: Lead
The company has a strong gender balance across the talent pipeline, to pay equity, to a solid framework of gender equality policies and practices as well as to an inclusive workplace culture as reflected by high engagement levels of both male and female employees.
Organisations can become EDGE certified for their commitment to workplace gender equality and progress through three stages of certification – Assess, Move and Lead – in their journey to achieve excellence in workplace gender equality.
The certification is granted for two years.
EDGE Certified seals are a trademark owned by EDGE Certified — all use of the EDGE Certified seal must comply with the use requirements established by EDGE Certified.
The EDGE Certification process
MEASURE: An online assessment – EDGE Assessment Tool – examines three sources of company information.
BENCHMARK: Organizations benchmark themselves against the EDGE Standard and peer organizations. The benchmark serves as a basis for an action plan.
GET CERTIFIED: After a successful independent audit by a third party certification body, the organization receives the EDGE Certification Seal – in one of three levels.
COMMUNICATE: Public display of the EDGE Certification Seals sends a clear message of commitment to the organization’s stakeholders. The globally recognized business certification enhances the brand’s credibility.
Third Party Certification System
To maintain impartiality, the EDGE Certification operates a ‘third-party’ certification scheme. This means that EDGE Certification Foundation itself does not issue EDGE Certification. Certificates are issued by a third-party auditor independently accredited to be able to perform assessments of organizations against the EDGE Certification Standard.
Please click on the logos below to find out more information and contact information for both scheme managers.
INTERTEK is a leading quality solutions provider to industries worldwide. From auditing and inspection, to testing, training, advisory, quality assurance and certification, INTERTEK adds value for its customers by helping improve the quality and safety of their products, assets and processes. With a network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices and over 36,000 people in more than 100 countries, INTERTEK supports companies’ success in the global marketplace, by helping customers to meet end users’ expectations for safety, sustainability, performance, integrity and desirability in virtually any market worldwide.
For more information about INTERTEK please go to: http://www.intertek.com/business-assurance/edge-certification/
If you would like to learn more about becoming EDGE Certified with INTERTEK, please contact Alice Armand at email@example.com
FLO-CERT is a leading global certification body, providing sole certification to Fairtrade and offering verification services for social and environmental standards as well as private codes of conduct. Founded in 2003, FLO-CERT remains mission-driven and dedicated to working with all types of organizations, from small producers to internationally recognized brands, in order to promote fairness in global trade. With four international offices conducting business in over 115 countries, FLO-CERT specializes in offering global reach with local expertise.
For more information about FLO-CERT, please go to https://www.flocert.net/solutions/standard-assurance/edge-certification/
If you would like to learn more about becoming EDGE Certified with FLO-CERT, please contact Sonja Dubois at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want an overview of EDGE Certification?
Download our brochure to read at your leisure.
EDGE Certification around the world
EDGE Certification is currently working with more than 170 organizations, in over 48 countries and 23 industries.